It’s been a while!
I’m trying to exercise more this year to try and finally pass my minimum skills. I’m so close! Now up to 25/26 laps in 5 minutes, so all I need is those last two laps. I’ve managed to pick this up with no effort other than working as a teacher and spending all my time on my feet running after small children, which got me thinking, what could I do if I actually tried?
It’s not that I don’t enjoy exercising, it’s more that with my training course and my career choice I end up coming home at 6ish every night too exhausted to do anything else. Judging by my fellow trainee teachers, it’s a miracle I manage to make time for myself to see my boyfriend and go to training. When I think about it, I have plenty of time in the evening to do something, even just half an hour of something. It’s all about habits. So I’m taking up Trebles challenge of #exerciseeveryday and one of the things I’m trying is a Nike+ Run Club program.
To say I run would be a massive exaggeration. I mostly walk with the occassionally jog. But I have done parkrun before quite a few times, so I know I can cover 5k on a good day. I’ve never done street running, mostly because I am terrified. Every time I think of it, my anxiety cranks right up and starts catastrophic ingredients. What if I’m hit by a car? What if I twist my ankle? What if someone stabs me or a dog mauls me or godzilla suddenly comes to rain down hell on my tiny town? All ridiculous worries but all very hard to overcome nonetheless. I asked for help and found that I’m not the only one who worries about this. And either omw advice and encouraging words I’ve made it out for 2 runs this week.
My first run looked like this. A solid walk with a bit of jogging! However, I was put of the door and going. It also helped me find a route I was relatively comfortable with. It was extremely icy, so part of the issue was a fear of slipping over. On top of that, I had a horrendous sore throat that felt like I’d swallowed a golf ball every time I swallowed! I wanted to start, but I had to start easy.
Yesterday, I went to the gym with my boyfriend who showed me how to deadlift. I managed a rough total of 20 reps (over a few sets) at 40kg. I also did cable rows and goblet squats, so this morning my body is full of aches and pains. Despite this, I made it out for my ‘benchmark’ run.
I managed much more jogging/running this time! The time recorded by the app is longer but I think I actually completed my mile faster – about 20 seconds at the end was spent wrestling to get my phone out of the arm band to end my workout!
My reason for this post was to make some notes that won’t fit in my fitness diary, because I noticed some progress and struggles that can’t be shown by these statistics.
- My breathing was way off today. Maybe that’s because it’s cold and that’s upsetting my lungs or because I drank a whole bottle of wine last night, who knows! Maybe it was because I was pushing myself harder. I found myself coughing a lot!
- I jogged lots more. I also jogged for longer than I thought I’d be able to. A few times I actually surprised myself that I was still going.
- I managed to make my route a full mile so now I can measure how long a mile takes me ( and work up to being able to run a full mile!)
- Despite my thigh based DOMS, my calves, shins and ankles aren’t hurting as much as they did after my first run. I’ll regret saying this tomorrow, I’m sure.
- Running didn’t make those DOMS go away but it did soothe them for a bit. That’s important to remember in the future when I’m moaning about not being able to move.
Hopefully this continues! I moan about it but I’m actually really enjoying it. Here’s to 2017!